Firstly, falconry is a huge commitment and lifestyle change
, do not underestimate the implications that this may put on your life! Nigel is able to offer private tuition on his intensive apprenticeship style falconry course to beginners who can demonstrate the necessary time, commitment and facilities to practise falconry to the required standard. His tuition course is the most comprehensive falconry course available.
Nigel believes falconry cannot be taught on a short two to three day course with 5 to 10 students at falconry centres.
He prefers to offer a one-to-one apprenticeship, where the student will have the freedom to book 7 days when they want, and don't have to be block booked. Enabling you to pay when your budget allows. Only moving onto the next training module when they feel confident.
You will shadow Nigel whilst he passes on his extensive knowledge with seven morning classroom and video sessions, followed by seven afternoon practical flying sessions in the field.
Emphasis is on maximum flying of the hawks until he is confident you have the required ability, confidence and dedication to own and fly a bird of prey.
Train with a truly experienced falconer and published author "The Art of Falconry" (his extensive work with goshawks can be read in the goshawk chapter) He spends most of his time in the field flying his hawks.
His apprenticeships are on a one-to-one basis so you get maximum interaction and time with the birds & falconer. Starting with the basics then moving onto hunting with a cast of Harris' Hawks, working alongside our ferrets and German Short-Haired Pointers.
You will conclude your course flying the birds on your own afternoon flying session; which will give you a true falconry experience like no other. (Nigel will be a short distance away in case of any problems)
You can also extend your apprenticeship course over 10-15 days, the extra days are charged at a daily rate of £100
We are confident that you will leave our apprenticeship with the correct attitude and knowledge to give you the best possible start in your newly acquired lifestyle.
Nigel takes a personal interest in your raptors welfare. As you embark on your falconry journey it's also comforting to know that included in your course is the backup of our mentor programme, where Nigel will be available on the phone or in person 24hrs a day if any problems arise.
The course covers the following:
- History, Etiquette and Ethics
- 7 days in the field
- Legal requirements & Implications
- Types of Perches - Tethering - Falconers knot
- Housing & Hygiene: Mews, Weatherings & Aviary Design
- Freelofting for all species
- Food & Nutrition - Food Preparation & Supplements
- Health, Morphology, Anatomy & Biology
- Species Suitability
- Purchasing your first bird
- Foreseeing Behavioural Problems
- Hoods & Hooding
- Essential Falconry Equipment: Swivels, leashes, gloves, travel boxes, vests, scales, baths, lures, bells, bewits, anklets & jesses
- Leather equipment construction
- Picking up & carrying
- Feeding, manning & training techniques
- Weighing & weight management
- Flying on a creance
- Flying Free
- Following On - Waiting on
- Lure & pole lure training
- Hunting Techniques & Fieldcraft
- Quarry spikes/dispatch pliers
- Advanced Training Techniques
- Appetite, stretch receptors, rangle, washed meat - reclaiming
- Coping & Imping without casting
- Unlimited mentoring - 24/7
- Waking Accipiters
- Conditioning & Enseaming
- Operant Conditioning - Positive Reinforcement Training
- Development & Behaviour
- Weather - Barometric Pressure
- Theory & Practical Telemetry & Tracking
- Telemetry mounting methods: Tracpack - Leg - Tail
- Intensive First Aid Course: Crop Tubes - Trauma Care - Drug Administration - Bleeding - Splints - Parasites - Wing Trauma - Shock - Sour Crop - Wingtip Oedema - Emergency Feeding etc
- Disease Prevention - Bumble foot - Viral - Fungal
- First Aid Kits
- Bad Practices
- Fitness Training Techniques
- Hawking in the Field
- The Moult
- Kite Training
- Obtaining your own bird - Breeders
- Obtaining land
- Clubs - Field Meets
- Ferreting Techniques
- Hawking Dogs
- Freedom to extend course to 10-15 days
- Problem solving in the field
- Preparing game for consumption - Butchery & Bushcraft skills
- The Philosophy of the Falconer
- Get the full potential from your raptor...
To book your place on this course a £100 deposit is required. This is returnable if you cancel at least 4 weeks before the course start date (minus an administration fee). After this time the deposit will only be returned if we are able to re-book your place.
(our mentor programme comes as standard with every course: we provide unlimited advice, for an unlimited time)
Individual Coaching/Advanced Training Days
We also offer the freedom to book one-to-one tuition days from basic to advanced training. Maybe you already have your hawk or falcon and have some difficulties. Nigel can assess your problems then provide remedies and give an effective plan of progression.
Call on his extensive professional knowledge and experience to train or eradicate behavioural problems.
Simply bring your hawk along and Nigel will assist in training that all important bird the right way.
Get the full potential from your raptor...
£120 per day
Falconry involves years of continuous learning, problem solving, hard work and dedication. If you're just starting out in falconry and finding it challenging acquiring a mentor, or you've already purchased a bird and realised the difficulties involved with training, at least build yourself a safety net and get a good mentor.
Nigel is available as a mentor in person or by phone 24hrs a day for unlimited advice, for an unlimited amount of time. Call on his knowledge and abilities to help you train that all important bird the right way.
£450 per person
(Mentor places are restricted to a small number per year to guarantee quality of service)
To discuss any questions you have in more detail regarding our courses, training days or mentoring please call Nigel: 07956 347427 or complete our contact form for more information...